In this Article:
- Notepad ++
- A text editor with some very nice extra features
- Agent Ransack
- A file search utility
- A filesystem management utility
- A Microsoft command line utility for checking the status of TCP/UDP ports
- Notepad ++
Notepad++ is mostly a text editor. I know what you’re thinking: “Well, I already HAVE a text editor. I don’t really need another one. Mine works just fine!”
- Open a “live” file (like a log) without getting in way of other processes accessing it. That way, you can look at the log in real time, without making a copy.
- Search for all the instances of a text string in all the files in a directory you name, and allow you to quickly jump to that string in the file where it’s located.
2. Agent Ransack
- Search for a filename or directory / folder name
- Search for text inside the file, including using regular expressions (basically wildcard searches)
- Specify the time the file was saved, created or last accessed
…all without the files / filesystem in process needing to be indexed, as is needed for Windows Filemanager Search. And it’s quite fast.
It seems that no matter how big your drives are, they’re still not big enough. How many times have you found that your drive is ALMOST full, then had a very difficult time freeing up the space you need? It seems like the hardest task is just FINDING the offending file or application. You have click on the properties of each folder to see its size, then look inside the biggest, look at all the folders there to find where the space is being used up, ad infinitum.